A genuine beach bar experience in Knysna, cocktails and great food with an island style vibe.
Sitting in the shade of indigenous milkwood trees, sipping on tropical piña coladas and enjoying fresh seafood with the shore of the Knysna Lagoon a few meters away might sound like a dream, but it’s a reality when you’re spending the afternoon at the Featherbed Beach Bar.
Exclusively open during the summer season, Knysna’s beach bar sits on the shores of the Western Head at the Featherbed Nature Reserve and is only accessible by boat. This means that your beach bar experience begins with a leisurely cruise or row across the lagoon. Stop for a swim to build up an appetite before mooring at the private beach, or just off-shore.
Friendly staff and reggae and marimba beats welcome you to the beach bar. Rustic, yet comfortable, open aired seating offers al fresco dining that puts you in mind of being anywhere along the Mediterranean – but with a South African twist. Uninterrupted views over the Knysna lagoon make for sweet daydreaming while waiting for your food to arrive, and allows parents to keep an eye on the kids playing in the water.
The fare is fresh, light and unpretentious, but the menu is filled with sophisticated flavours. A local favourite is the grilled calamari and chips or, if available, fresh line fish. And if the unbelievably beautiful location hasn’t done the trick yet, try one of the refreshing cocktails or drinks on offer and you’ll soon feel that island vibe and beach bar atmosphere.
Featherbed Eco Experience
If you are feeling energetic, time your visit to take part in the Eco Experience, or simply put on your sunhat, reapply some sun cream, sit back and relax – that’s what beach bars are for, after all.
Your cruise to and from the beach bar is sure to awaken the sailor in you, so explore the variety of boating excursions available. Some are adventurous, some are educational and some are luxurious – but they are all experiences you’ll remember for many years to come.
- If you do not have access to a boat during your holiday, contact the Visitor Info Centres to find out where you may rent one for your excursion to the beach bar, or for contact details of water taxi’s available.
- Although the Featherbed Beach Bar serves alcohol, this is a family friendly activity and kids will not only enjoy the adventure, but can play on the private beach.
- Be aware that the private beach does lie on one of the Knysna lagoon’s deeper channels, so please keep an eye on the kids if they’re splashing about.
- It is never a good idea to have a swim if you’ve had a few drinks.
- Even though you’ll be boating back, it’s a good idea to take a designated ‘driver’ along who won’t partake of the adult beverages.
- Check in with Featherbed Co to confirm which of their other experiences are available during your holiday.