The 39th Knysna Oyster Festival is kicking off and with less than three weeks to go town is abuzz with preparations! The festival, taking place from 1-10 July, falls within the South African winter school holidays and here are multiple reasons why it is the perfect midyear break for families!
Get into “gamer-mode” for the exciting “Oyster Hunt” that is being launched for the first time this year. Expect daily prizes, a leader board and a grand prize on Sunday, the 10th of July. Just download the App, find the map and start looking for the oysters positioned all over Knysna!
The “Play in Nature Kids Pass” at Blackwaters River Lodge is your ticket to some awesome outdoor adventures! Think “Pitch & Putt” golf, canoeing, stand-up-paddling, grass volleyball and old-fashioned sack races! Buy a “Day pass” for one day, or more – 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 10 July.
The Riverwood Oyster Festival Kids Club from 4 –9 July will run a daily programme for kids. Activities include “Make & bake”, Arts & Crafts, games, and play. Drop and go for a day of fun in a secure environment at the Riverwood Knysna Primary school.
Want to introduce your children to the magical world of tea & spices? Take them to an interesting talk and learn about spices and teas at The Spice & Tea House: Spice talks are daily at 12pm, and Tea talks are daily at 10am and 3pm.
Here are some more activities ideal for young (and old) festino’s:
• Pirate Treasure Hunt – dress up like a pirate and join a treasure cruise on the Knysna Lagoon
• Miss Pearl 22 – do you have a budding young beauty queen? Why not enter her for the 2022 Miss Pearl competition for all age groups?
• Open Rapid chess tournament – avid chess player? Why not test your skills at the 6 round Swiss pairing tournaments at the Knysna High School?
• Tree of Life Sanctuary Gatherings – Chocolate making, sacred singing, estate dance DJ and a magical musical theatre show produced by Serendipity Sun Services and performed by Lyra Sami at Blackwaters River Lodge.
• Sunrise Trail Run – a 7km trail run for old and young at the Garden Route Trail Park in Barrington.
• Knysna Cycle Tour – a 12km option is ideal for younger cyclists!
FREEBIE alert – If you enter for the Cycle Tour you get a FREE pass for a week for the Garden Route Trail Park AND the Fynbos-on-Sea Activity Centre!
• FUN Pumptrack Eliminator – as much fun to watch as to take part, all ages.
• Harbour2Heads Lagoon Challenge – the canoe race from the Knysna Yacht Club to the Heads include a 2km option for younger paddlers.
• Totties Country Market – this market in Rheenendal offers art, crafts, food, model train rides, kid’s activities and a great secure play area. Great entertainment for the whole family!
• The Farm Leisure Market – set in a magical setting it takes place on farmland in Old Cape Road, less than 10min from Knysna. The Farm has a wonderful kids play area, a hiking track, gravel cycle tracks for old and young, a fabulous pizza oven (and pizzas of course) – and great coffee! On Market days informal stalls set up all over with a vast and eclectic selection of products that include fresh produce, delectable food items, clothing, and crafts.
• Kids Craft Workshop – Make your own dreamcatcher – bring the kids to make a gorgeous dream catcher at The Queen, a safe and secure art studio. Drop off and go, or parents are welcome to join!
• Guided Tour of Rock Pools – Join the SANParks Rangers for a fun, educational outing in our pristine rock pools at the Knysna Heads. Explore and learn about life in the pools.
• ASWD Cross country races & relays – from age 8yrs and older – these races will take place in the natural terrain in and around Loerie Park.
• Guided Tour of mudflats around Leisure Isle – a fun, educational outing for the whole family.
• Kids Craft Workshop – Paint your own holiday dinner set – wonderful, colourful fun at The Queen, a safe and secure art studio. Drop off and go, or parents are welcome to join!
• Family Litter Clean-up – join SANParks Honorary Rangers in doing your bit for Knysna and the estuary.
• “Pitch & Putt” Family Golf Tournament – interactive golf day on the Mashie course at Blackwaters River Lodge – with drinks for both adults and kids at each green.
• Kids Craft Workshop – Make & paint your own flower press – bring the kids for some art fun they can take home, and use! Workshop is at The Queen, a safe and secure art studio. Drop off and go, or parents are welcome to join!
• “It’s a pity I did not bring any swords” book reading – listen to local author Martin Hatcheul talk about his book – a book about life in Knysna, now and then – both the book and the talk appeals to audiences of all ages!
• KnysnaX Trail Series Winter Run – KnysnaX is hosting a 6km run for the whole family. A fun scenic trail run for the entire family! The routes include spectacular bridge crossings and breathtaking scenery all along the Knysna Railway.
• Mother & Child Pilates – Want to introduce your kids to Pilates? Why not join Pure Posture for a fun Pilates session that will appeal to old and young!
• Pitch & Putt Family Golf Tournament – Interactive golf day on the Mashie course at Blackwaters River Lodge – with drinks for both adults and kids at each green.
• Pirate Treasure Hunt – Dress up like a pirate and join a treasure cruise on the Knysna Lagoo.
• Knysna Elephant Park Carnival – Kids go FREE on our Meet the Herd Tour!! Free entrance for all to the carnival!! Jumping castle and outside playground, Bean Bag Toss, Face painting, Ring Toss, Pin the tail on the Elephant, Ball knockdown and Sack Race.
• Totties Country Market – This market in Rheenendal offers art, crafts, food, model train rides, kids activities and a great secure play area. Great entertainment for the whole family!
Find out more on our website, www.knysnaoysterfestival.co.za
See you and your family in Knysna!
For further information visit www.knysnaoysterfestival.co.za, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Visit Knysna on 063 649 1057.
Stay on top of things by following us on social media – Facebook (@knysnaoysterfestival); Instagram (@knysnaoysterfestival) and Twitter (@oysterfestival).
#KnysnaOysterFestival #KnysnaOysterFestival2022 #VisitKnysna
Issued on behalf of the Knysna Oyster Festival by:
Cell: 083 299 7777
Email: email@example.com / Jacques: firstname.lastname@example.org