It’s Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival time and we’ve hand-picked 10 items from a list of over 100 fun activities spanning the Greater Knysna area between 29 June and 8 July.
- Foodie fun
Always a firm favourite is the Fish Braai competition, where locals battle it out for bragging rights for the coveted title of “Best Fish Braaier in Knysna” in the Pick n Pay Fish Braai Competition on Thursday 5 July from 4 - 6pm. Make sure you get there to cheer on your favourite team!
- The competition reaches boiling point on Friday 6th July from 12 – 1pm, when competitors go head-to-head in their frantic bid to be crowned champion in the
Oyster Shucking and Eating Competition. This is all about honour! This action-packed event is not to be missed!
Both events are free of charge and take place at Woodmill Lane Shopping Centre.
- In a brand-new event, Pick n Pay Smart Shopper card holders and their partners are invited to reserve a spot at the Fresh Taste of Pick n Pay. Look forward to being served scrumptious delights; and as you'd expect from Knysna hospitality, you'll be invited to indulge in fresh oysters, accompanied by Heinz Hot Sauce. This will be rounded off with the perfect wine or bubbly from Van Loveren wines. What better way to spend your day? For this wonderful treat of authentic flavours and live music, join us on Wednesday 4 July between 4 and 7pm at the Woodmill Lane Shopping Centre. For your convenience, two sessions will be run: the first from 4 - 5.30pm and the second from 30pm - 7pm. Space is limited so book early to avoid disappointment. Click here to confirm.
- Mix it up
Mix up your festival fun with some of the many tourism activities on offer, such as a trip on the Knysna lagoon on a ferry, inflatable boat, yacht or kayak. For the more adventurous, there’s paragliding and even bungee jumping. It takes less than an hour from Knysna to Bloukrans Bridge, where you’ll find the highest bridge bungee jump in the world at 216m! Take on the Harbour2Heads Lagoon Challenge on Sunday 1 July, the marathon-style paddling on the beautiful Knysna Estuary, or attempt the Momentum Knysna Lagoon Mile Swim on Monday 2 July.
- Wine, wonderful wine
The Knysna Wine Festival presented by Pick n Pay may be an institution, but this year’s location on Thesen Island will be a first. Experience the best of South Africa’s wine farms on Monday 2 and Tuesday 3 July from 5 – 9pm. Wine lovers can choose from over 200 wines from more than 50 wine producers, as well as craft liquors from across the Cape Winelands and Garden Route. Tickets cost R150, available at Webtickets.
We're giving away tickets to the Knysna Wine Festival presented by Pick n Pay, and guaranteed entry to the Pick n Pay Wine Club Tasting Room.
Sign up for the Pick n Pay Wine Club, using the reference KOF2018 to stand a chance to win two tickets. One winner is drawn each Friday leading up to the Wine Festival.
- Hit the road and trail
Knysna will be a cycler’s paradise during the first weekend of the Festival. The Momentum Knysna Cycle Tour MTB events kick off festivities on Saturday 30 June with challenging trails through the region’s forests and farmlands. The Momentum Knysna Cycle Tour Road Races on Sunday 1 July feature a 115km and a 50km route. The 115km road race, as well as the 80km and 50km MTB races will again be seeding events for the 2019 Cape Town Cycle Tour. Also not to be missed are the family rides, kiddie’s ride and MTB X. Online entries close on 27 June.
- A spash of colour – with a social conscience!
In an exciting initiative, Knysna Municipality’s Economic Development team has supported local entrepreneurs to host events as part of the Festival:
- Bulelane Memane will be hosting the Colour Splash Party – featuring well known Johannesburg DJ Bongs on Saturday 30 June.
- Oliver Mabukane is organising the Ikasi Colour Fun Run on Sunday 1 July, which will be followed by a street bash After Party.
- Vuvu Ralushe’s will be host the Green Carpet Fashion Extravaganza at Club Vinyl on the
Main Street of Knysna on Sunday 8 July.
Join us in supporting these budding entrepreneurs!
- A breath of fresh air
Experience the wonders of nature with the whole family, by joining us on the FNB Forest Family Hike on either Monday 2, Wednesday 4 or Friday 6 July. The legendary Harkerville Trails provide people of all ages and fitness levels the chance to absorb the magic of these famous forests. There is a brisk hike over a 10km distance, and shorter rambles of 6km and 2.5km. Look out for a Knysna Loerie or even an elephant. Share the ecological importance of the forests with children while enjoying quality family time. An entertaining talk on the history of the area and its rare forest fauna and flora is part of the fun.
Don’t forget the elephants!
Get up close and personal with elephants in the Knysna Elephant Park and all manner of wildlife at numerous wildlife sanctuaries in the area, including Monkeyland in Plettenberg Bay, which is the world’s first free roaming primate sanctuary.
- Just for laughs
The Comedy Chuckle is a Festival highlight and will take place at Mitchell’s Brewery on Thursday 5 July. This year’s line-up includes SA’s top funnymen, Kagiso Mokgadi, Carl Weber, Yasseen Barnes and Dalin Oliver. Also on the comedy line-up this year is the Emo Adams Evening of Comedy and Entertainment on Saturday 7 July – not to be missed!
- On your marks!
The hugely popular Momentum BIG5 Challenge is taking place between 29 June and 7 July. Athletes can choose between the Momentum BIG5 and Momentum BIG5Lite, both of which start and finish with the Momentum Knysna Cycle Tour MTB and the Momentum Knysna Forest Marathon’s Half Marathon. An additional three events form the full BIG5 and take place between those two events and include swimming, trail running and MTB X events.
- Runners rule!
Runners, as always, are in for a treat. The Momentum Knysna Forest Marathon & Half Marathon, two of South Africa’s most unique running races, take place on Saturday 7 July. Runners can look forward to experiencing the incredible views over the Knysna Lagoon towards the Knysna Heads as they approach the finish line. On Tuesday 3 July, the Momentum Featherbed Trail Run provides an 11km Seahorse and a 15km Coelacanth option.
The Houtkapper Trail Run on Sunday 8 July has 9km, 15 km and 27 km trails that provide the opportunity to experience single track and exciting terrain of the Garden Route National park.
For the full programme please visit: www.oysterfestival.co.za